Today, NetSuite is widely recognized as one of the best cloud-based management solutions in the business world. Its user-friendly features and functionalities play an important role in raising its popularity. Amongst them, the features associated with the creation of NetSuite custom records, which are the building blocks of NetSuite are regarded as the most prominent one.
NetSuite custom records
Indeed, these are highly useful components of NetSuite as you must require them to build new functionalities that are not offered in with your existing NetSuite solution. With them, you will be able to develop new features to fulfill your business needs rather than enforced to work with a limited set of pre-defined features.
The NetSuite custom records assist you in creating custom fields as well as lists. Not only that, it also helps you establish special links between several NetSuite records/transactions also it allow us to create parent – child relationship between records.
Advantages of NetSuite custom records
- Offers excellent flexibility by facilitating easier formatting and configuring
- Supports seamless linkage with any of the existing records in the NetSuite
- Facilitates hassle-free and effective customization as per your requirements
- Permits simple search for any custom record through related Saved Search types
- Extremely useful in creating numerous reports in NetSuite
- Facilitates easier import of custom records into NetSuite through CSV Import Tool
- Supports deploy of custom SuiteFlow Workflows on different custom records
- Allows to write custom scripts for enhancing the custom records’ functionalities
- Integrates smoothly with any external web application
Limitations of NetSuite custom records
- They do not facilitate the validation of the Name field within any custom record to ensure uniqueness. However, it may be enforced with the help of SuiteScripts custom scripts.
- Also, they do not support the functionality associated with NetSuite duplicate resolution
Therefore, make use of this unique feature offered by the NetSuite to build customized records to best suiting to your requirements. Organize your crucial business information in a sophisticated manner without any complex coding. And, simplify your business processes and improve your overall productivity.
Significance of NetSuite custom records
As mentioned earlier, these are very useful, whenever you are required to enhance the functional capabilities of your NetSuite solution. They assist in creating new custom records and also in extracting additional information from the existing NetSuite records/transactions , you can use SuiteScript to interact with instances of an existing custom record type . Apart from that, they also can be utilized as the database tables to store important information that can be easily accessed either directly or with the help of special links.
Let’s try to understand how to use the NetSuite custom records in a common business scenario:-
Assume that the main activities of your business revolve around organizing effective webinars for EPR solutions. You maintain a database in an external application to store all the information associated with the webinars and lists of attendees.
After every webinar, you import the crucial information linked with the overall hosting expense report and the attendee’s list into your NetSuite. It can be done through CSV or web service integration. On the basis of this information, you will prepare the invoices and bill your webinar attendees. You will also save these invoices for further usage, for instance, to refer in the future or to create annual reports.
Now, let us learn how NetSuite custom records are helpful in this scenario. However, before that, we will make some key assumptions:
- Names of all the attendees are already recorded in the system
- Two employees have been assigned for roles
- Project Manager: He will be responsible for importing all the information related to webinars and attendees
- Billing or AR (Accounts Receivable) Agent: He will be responsible for billing attendees
Creating NetSuite custom records
The creation process of any NetSuite custom records can be segregated into three primary stages. They are:
Stage 1: Designing the custom records
The planning and designing aspect plays an important role in building any kind of product or service. It helps you understand all the important elements of the product/service. With it, you will be able to focus on the proper utilization of your resources. On the other hand, you will also get to know about the possible flaws that can be avoided with timely actions. A similar logic applies in the process of creating an efficient NetSuite custom record.
Before starting to create the records, you must spend a little bit of time in designing and planning. For instance, in the case of the above business scenario, we required to create two NetSuite custom records.
- Webinar record
- Attendee record
Webinar Record: It will incorporate two important elements. One is the name of the webinar and the other one is the schedule (date and time) of the webinar.
Attendee record: It will comprise all the crucial information related to the list of attendees. For instance, the fields associated with the Webinar (linked to the Webinar record), names of the attendees, and the companies’ names that these attendees belong to. Also, it will include fields related to invoices and rates (amounts used for billing).
Here, you will notice multiple connections between Webinar record and Attendee record since several attendees will be participating in multiple webinars.
Later, the Attendee record can be easily linked to the pre-defined records NetSuite – “Customer Record” and “Invoice”. The Invoice record will get generated once the Webinar ends. Here, the Webinar Fee will be utilized for creating an invoice while the rate will be mentioned as the charge amount.
Stage 2: Creating the custom Webinar record
Now, we will try to create the NetSuite custom record for a Webinar as per your design by following these simple steps.
First, login into your NetSuite account as an administrator and then navigate to:
Customization -> Lists, Records and Fields -> Record Types -> New
Creation of custom record and fields
- Fill the given form by providing the necessary information related to the webinar name, owner name, access type etc.
- Check the “Include Name Field” box in case you prefer to import records through the CSV import tool
- Check the ‘’Include In Global Search” box in case you prefer to record to be searchable from global search
- You can also restrict access of record by defining value of “Access Type” drop down
- You can also choose icon for that, select the PNG sprite you want to use to represent this record type in the New Bar, Create New menu, Recent Records menu, Recent Records portlet, and QuickViews. You can choose from built-in icons or create your own custom icon.
Click the “Save” button. Now, you will be able to add new fields when you click on the “Edit” button
- Then, click the “New Field” button to create two new fields – Date and Time, for these fields type should be selected to date and time. You can also select inside which tab field has to be displayed or you can apply filter also on field, from sourcing & filter tab.
Adjusting of the other tabs on the custom record
Likewise the other pre-defined NetSuite records, the NetSuite custom records also contain different sub tabs, lists, as well as forms. Besides, these also facilitate the fine-tuning of the records and adjusting of the tabs.
- First, create the “Attendees” sub tab where all the records related to attendees associated with this webinar will be visible
*In the Title column of the Subtabs subtab, enter the name of your new subtab for this record type.
*If desired, designate this subtab as a child of an existing subtab.
*In the Parent column, select an existing subtab from the list. This list consists of any custom subtabs already saved for the current custom record type as well as any custom subtabs that you have defined for that record type.
- You can also auto-generate the list of record names and numbers for records by using the “Numbering” tab
- You can also translations (when Multi-Language feature is enabled) for the custom record type name to be used when users change the language preference.
A standard form automatically gets generated when you try to create a custom record in the NetSuite that can be found under the tab “Forms”. You can customize it as per your requirement by removing unwanted fields that you don’t wish to be seen by the users.
- You can also restrict the access of this record for specific roles with the help of “Permissions” tab
(Note – Many different Center Types are available in the NetSuite that are highly specific to certain kinds of roles)
- In the “Links” tab, you can specify where you want to show your NetSuite custom record’s link within the menu
- In the form, the “Section” column indicates towards the tab available in the navigation menu where this record will be found
- The “Category” column comprises the value of the dropdown list of NetSuite menu where the link of this record will be placed
- The “Links” column consists of your NetSuite custom record’s name. You are allowed to define any preferred name for your link in the “Label” field. It will be extremely useful when you don’t wish to use the default name for the record
- Click on the “New” tab to create the first record
Stage 3: Creating the custom Attendee record
Next, you will try to create the NetSuite custom record for Attendees with the help of the below-mentioned steps.
First, repeat the steps mentioned in the point “Creation of custom record and fields” in stage 2 of the creation process. Then, navigate to:
Customization -> Lists, Records, and Fields -> Record Types -> New
- Provide all the important information and click on the “Save” button
- Add new fields via the “Fields” tab
(The fields named as the Webinar, Attendee’s company, and Invoice are types of “List/Record”. These are helpful in linking your record to the existing NetSuite records/transaction, for instance, webinars, invoices, and customers)
- Specify the position of your NetSuite record Attendees’ list under the “Links” tab
- Create a sample record for the Attendees’ list and link it to the Webinar record that has been created in Stage 2
- Navigate to Lists -> Custom -> Webinar Attendee
- Now, click on the “New Webinar Attendee” tab and populate the Attendee record
- Select the sample Attendee record in the “Webinar” field
* In Attendees’ Company field, select the company’s name to which this particular attendee belongs
* Add the rate paid by this attendee to participate in the webinar
- Click on the “Save” button to save the record
Things to keep in the mind
To view the Attendees as the sub list, you are required to select the “Webinar” in ‘List/Record’ and tick on the “Record is Parent” option available within the Webinar field of the Attendee record.
Now, navigate to,
Customization -> Lists, Records, and Fields -> Record Types -> Webinar Attendee
When you click on the “Webinar” field, you will be able to view two things
- The “Attendee” record is the child of the “Webinar” record
- List of the webinar attendees under the sub tab Attendees
Now, go to your webinar and navigate to
Lists -> Custom -> Webinar
Click on the “View” tab in the Webinar you created in stage 3 to view its contents
With the above-mentioned three stages, you have learned to create a fully-functional custom record in your NetSuite account. The entire process is much easier to follow and work with. Before wrapping up, let’s have a quick look at some of the advantages and limitations of the NetSuite custom records.
We hope this article seems to be helpful. If you have have concerned then connect with NetSuite Experts
or call +61 480 016 233